Saturday, January 21, 2012

One man many names...

http://bit.ly/yc2t4j 
Title: Catching UpArtist: J. Seward Johnson, Jr.Station: Grand Circus Park Station

I decided to start a blog about something that I feel gets a lot of bad publicity, not only in the city, but here in the suburbs as well. Now, don't get me wrong I have been one to say bad things about it as well. I have heard it all from “it's a waste of money” to “its pointless because it doesn't go far.” Regardless of how you feel, I see it as a monument in the city of Detroit.

It has been a moving billboard for over two decades. “The 2.9 Mile track takes about 14 minutes to go around the loop and has 13 passenger stations” (http://bit.ly/AzNMXx).

All 13 stations have unique and personalized pieces of art, this is what attracted me to The People Mover. I love unique art and Detroit is home to some of the best. The Heidelberg Project is one that I find amazing. Check it out if your in the city with some time in the summer (http://bit.ly/ArSteF).

I found that of the fifteen artists that have art work along the people mover track, nine of them are from the state of Michigan. Over the next couple of weeks I want to look at each station and talk about what I think about each. I personally believe that if you have seen the artwork and knew the background you would also love the People Mover as much as I do.

One station that I enjoy is the Grand Circus Park. This station has a life-size man in bronze reading his newspaper. This was personalized with the Detroit Free Press and the Detroit News in the statue. I am not the only one that likes it because the people of Detroit voted it the “‘most popular’ by the people of metropolitan Detroit” (http://bit.ly/y1Cchn).

I would say this Bronze statue stands out the most to me because of its simplicity, it catches the eye of everyone that passes by it. I like the idea that he has been reading the same paper for over 20 years. I know he isn't really reading it, just maybe skimming it, or browsing it. Now, on to some background information. It was made using a “lost wax process” where they poured the hot bronze over a form and melted the formed wax away.

This is not an original to Detroit. There are six of the same statue around the world (http://bit.ly/y1Cchn). However, the personalization is original. All of the different cities that received the statue have there local papers in his hands and on his briefcase. It’s still not your typical painting on the wall or tile artwork, and thats why I like it the most.

I make sure that when I am in Detroit ridding the People Mover I stop by and say hello to Samuel (now, thats my personal name for him) you can name him yourself and thats part of the beauty of art we all see it differently. I am sure he has many names and everyone sees and loves him differently. Just like a real person, we see and feel differently about each other, and some of us even have many names and titles. Stop by and say hello next time your on the People Mover at Grand Circus Park.

What are your first impressions of the People Mover?

What station do you remember the most, and why?

2 comments:

  1. I am also a fan of the people mover! I think the ultimate goal of the people mover is to transport people around the downtown district and not all over Metro Detroit. There are many great places to visit downtown and if you ride the people mover you will experience some of the elite few! It is definitely better then walking in the blistering cold.

    The people mover has also been in a movie! Check out this link that talks about it in the movie Island!

    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0399201/trivia

    I think the people mover adds something unique to Detroit and symbolizes that we are not like every other downtown area!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some of the greatest spots in the city are along the track of The People Mover. Thanks for the link thats very interesting.

      Delete