Sunday, January 29, 2012

A step back in time

Title: In Honor of W. Hawkins FerryArtist: Tom Phardel / Pewabic Pottery
Station: Times Square Station

http://bit.ly/x4CvVO 
"Detroit's Pewabic Pottery is one of only two active turn-of -the-century pottery studios in the country. Its work, known for deep, richly-colored glazes, can be found in classic structures in Detroit and across the nation. Tom Phardel's design recalls the art deco style, using glazes reminiscent of Mary Chase Stratton's Pewabic work during the hey-day of America's Arts and Crafts Movement." (http://bit.ly/w2Gq52)

http://bit.ly/AxO2om
Now that we all know something about the next stop on our tour, lets talk about why I like it so much. I know in my last post that I said I only like art thats different. This art is much more than just some tiles on the wall it has a history with me and the city of Detroit. The tile for the Times Square stop was made at Detroit's Pewabic Pottery. This is what makes it special to me I have toured Pewabic many times and made some tile there. 

Before I get into that, lets get some history on Pewabic Pottery. It's a small shop just outside of the city of Detroit. This is a great place to take the kids on a rainy day or even take a date, you can tour the shop and then make some pottery. They have all kinds of different pottery on display from mosaic work to different kinds of hand made characters. 


Here is some history from Pewabic's site,"Pewabic Pottery was founded in 1903 by Mary Chase Perry (later Mary Chase Perry Stratton) and her partner, Horace Caulkins (developer of the Revelation Kiln), at the height of the Arts & Crafts movement in America. Pewabic's first home was a stable on Alfred Street in Detroit. Four years later, Pewabic Pottery moved to a new facility on East Jefferson designed by architect William Buck Stratton in the Tudor Revival style. In 1991, the building (which still houses the Pottery) and its contents were designated a National Historic Landmark and today is Michigan's only historic pottery." (http://bit.ly/x2e4wG)

http://bit.ly/yI3oGy
They have tile work all over the city and most people have never even heard of them. One building that I love to go and see when in the city is the Guardian Building. This building was made to be a bank and is now used for many different reasons mostly offices. You can take a tour of the Guardian Building, as soon as you walk in look up. This building has an amazing ceiling and you will probably fall in love just like I did. However, this blog isn't about the Pewabic pottery all over the city or the Guardian Building  even though I could write a blog about each of these topics. This blog is about the Detroit People Mover and all of the great art it offers to its riders. 

The Pewabic Pottery stop on the The Detroit People Mover as you can tell is special to me because I know about the history. When I see the art at this stop I remember all of the times I made something at Pewabic Pottery, or toured the shop. I like the people mover because each stop has a little piece of history with the city, they all have a story to tell. 

Have you been to Pewabic Pottery?
Whats your favorite Pewabic art in the city?

2 comments:

  1. This is so fascinating! It is obvious that you have a deep passion for the city and its art. Your piece describes intricate details, which makes this piece even more beautiful. I am a traveler and admire different styles of architectures around the world. This just adds to my to-do list!

    Thank you for writing this piece.
    Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The city has a special piece of my heart thats for sure.

    ReplyDelete